A mini-tummy tuck is a body contouring procedure that removes loose skin on the lower part of the abdomen between the navel and the pubic mound. (1) A mini-tummy tuck is recommended for individuals with a small amount of excess fat in the midsection who are at or near their goal weight.
Maybe pregnancy has left your midsection with loose skin and mildly separated stomach muscles. (1) You may even experience minor fluctuations in weight that have led to stubborn excess fat on your abdomen. (1) For individuals who carry excess fat, but less than what is required for treatment with a full tummy tuck, then a mini abdominoplasty may be for you! A mini-tummy tuck can help you attain smoother, flatter, sleeker abdominal contours.
Dr. Mustafa Ahmed and the team of Las Vegas Body Sculpting have helped many women and men to improve their body’s aesthetics and functionality with a full slate of customizable cosmetic and restorative procedures. A mini-tummy tuck has given our patients the last-mile results that diet and exercise alone cannot achieve. If you are interested in seeing if a mini-tummy tuck is right for you, contact our Las Vegas office today at (702) 447-1257, or through our online contact form.
A mini-tummy tuck offers similar results to a full tummy tuck. The only difference is that patients who undergo a mini-tummy tuck have less resistant fat on their abdomen, and aesthetic concerns concentrated beneath the navel. A mini-tummy tuck can help people who are at or near their target weight to flatten a “pooch”. It may also minimize stretch marks located on excess skin. Performed with liposuction, the procedure can also attain a more defined and sculpted appearance with high patient satisfaction. (2)
A mini-tummy tuck cannot correct diastasis recti, a condition common in many pregnant and postpartum women. Diastasis recti involves the separation of the abdominal muscles. Because this condition often affects both the upper and lower abdomen, a full tummy tuck is a better option to treat this condition.
Full Tummy-Tuck vs. Mini-Tummy Tuck: What’s the Difference?
A full tummy tuck requires anesthesia. While a patient is under anesthesia, the doctor will create a horizontal incision above the public mound. Liposuction may be utilized to remove stubborn excess fat. If the muscles have separated, they may be sutured back together to restore placement and strengthen the abdominal muscles. The skin is separated from the underlying tissues and the umbilicus, which is left in place. The skin is then pulled flat across the abdomen. Excess skin will be trimmed away. The belly button is then inserted in a new opening in the newly redraped skin.
A mini-tummy tuck utilizes a similar procedure. General anesthesia is not required. A mini-tummy tuck differs from a full procedure in that it is less invasive and treats only the lower abdominal region without relocating the belly button.
Benefits of a mini tummy tuck include:
- Corrects stretch marks
- Shorter recovery period
- Flattens lower belly pooch
- Shorter incision and thus smaller scar
- Shorter surgery time than a full tummy tuck
- Removes excess sagging skin below the navel
- Less invasive than a full abdominoplasty
- Incision is strategically made above the pubic area for easy concealment
You may be a candidate for a mini-tummy tuck if:
- You are in good health.
- You carry realistic expectations of the partial procedure.
- You have excess fat that resides between the belly button and pubic mound.
- You have a minimal amount of abdominal fat and skin, but not enough to be treated with a full abdominoplasty.
You may not be a good candidate for this procedure if: (1)
- You are in poor health.
- You are currently a smoker.
- You experience a chronic health condition such as cirrhosis, advanced cardiopulmonary disease, or diabetes.
A mini tummy tuck, like a full procedure, is not a solution for weight loss. A mini-tummy tuck is a body contouring procedure that streamlines the aesthetics and function of the lower abdomen.
Dr. Mustafa Ahmed is a board-certified plastic surgeon whose procedures help to restore and reshape patients’ bodies. In your consultation, we will discuss goals you have for a mini-tummy tuck and if Las Vegas Body Sculpting can help you to achieve them. To provide an idea of what final results will look like, we will also review before and after images of patients so you may gain a clearer, more realistic understanding of what you can achieve through mini abdominoplasty. We will then develop a personalized treatment plan. If you are ready to learn how we can help you achieve a more sculpted, flatter midsection, contact our Las Vegas office today at (702) 447-1257, or through our online contact form. We also invite you to check out or blog to learn more about how body sculpting procedures are helping to shape and renew confidence in our patients!
To prepare for a mini tummy tuck, you should:
- Stay hydrated.
- Exercise regularly.
- Two weeks prior, avoid alcohol.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep.
- Get a blood panel and any additional tests.
- Get as close to your target weight as possible.
- Request about two weeks off of work for recovery.
- Secure medical records to ensure good health for the procedure.
- Six to eight weeks before, avoid smoking and other products with nicotine.
- Adopt or maintain a well-balanced diet in preparation of maintaining results.
- Prepare your living space for recovery with reduced mobility–stock up on ready-made meals, ice packs, and entertainment.
- Appoint someone to drive you home from the procedure–you will be on painkillers and anesthesia and will be unable to drive.
- Two weeks prior to your procedure, avoid blood-thinning medications, supplements such as NSAIDs, aspirin, ibuprofen, green tea, Vitamin A and E, and garlic.
A mini tummy tuck will take between one and three hours. The procedure is as follows:
- Dr. Ahmed will use a surgical marker to note incision areas and other anatomical markers for the procedure.
- He will administer anesthesia to sustain comfort during this procedure. Most patients for a less invasive procedure such as a mini tummy tuck will use oral sedation or conscious sedation. The type of anesthesia will depend on recommendation based on your specific case.
- At this point, liposuction may be performed on the lower abdomen as needed.
- An incision of about 4 to 8 inches (that resembles a C-section scar) will be made above the pubic mound. The skin is lifted from the underlying tissues until the navel, and muscles will be gently tightened.
- Sagging skin will be pulled down tight across the lower abdominal wall. Excess skin will then be removed.
- The mini tummy tuck results in the removal of up to five pounds of excess abdominal skin and fat. This seemingly minor amount of weight can lead to a significant improvement in the appearance and functionality of the abdomen.
- The incision will be closed using sutures, clips, or adhesives, so as to result in minimal scarring that can be easily hidden with bikini bottoms or underwear.
After your procedure, you will need to be driven home by a pre-designated driver. You will likely experience mild discomfort in the initial days as you recover with your abdomen feeling tender to touch. You will also receive a compression garment. You should wear this garment for four to six weeks. We recommend returning to work after about two weeks. You should also perform only gentle activities six weeks after surgery. After this time period, you may resume more strenuous activities. Additionally, you will attend regular follow-up appointments to track your recovery.
Our patients are pleased with the subtle yet dramatic results from a mini-tummy tuck. This minimally invasive procedure improves the overall appearance with a well-sculpted, flat abdomen. With proper care, results can last a lifetime. To maintain results, you should adopt a well-balanced diet with plenty of exercise. Individuals who undergo a mini-tummy tuck may experience some or all of the following improvements:
- Tighter midsection
- Fewer stretch marks
- Flatter, streamlined abdomen
- Reduced amount of sagging skin
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Liposuction in combination with a mini-tummy tuck can provide a more aesthetically-pleasing, and functional abdomen. It will achieve more defined contours as a result of the precision required to suction excess fat from targeted points on the lower abdomen.
The cost of a tummy tuck will vary among patients. Cost will be impacted by each individual’s specific needs. Abdominoplasty, whether partial (mini) or full, is considered an elective cosmetic procedure and therefore likely won’t be covered by an insurance provider. We can provide you with an approximate quote and financing options in a one-on-one consultation.
- Regan JP, Casaubon JT. Abdominoplasty. [Updated 2022 Jul 25]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK431058/
- Brauman D, van der Hulst RRWJ, van der Lei B. Liposuction Assisted Abdominoplasty: An Enhanced Abdominoplasty Technique. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Sep 14;6(9):e1940. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000001940. PMID: 30349798; PMCID: PMC6191222.