Vaginoplasty and labiaplasty are two procedures that rejuvenate the appearance and sexual function of a woman’s genitalia. Genetics, injuries, and life-events like childbirth and menopause can cause significant changes in a woman’s intimate anatomy. You may notice that your vagina just doesn’t look or feel like it used to. Or, perhaps you’ve always struggled with this part of your femininity. However, with Dr. Mustafa Ahmed’s approach to vaginoplasty and labiaplasty, many of our clients have been able to regain their sexual confidence as well as confidence in their bodies.
- 1 What Causes Vaginal Laxity?
- 2 Before and After Photos
- 3 Vaginoplasty
- 4 Labiaplasty
- 5 Candidates For Labiaplasty
- 6 Candidates for Vaginoplasty
- 7 Personal Consultation With Dr. Ahmed
- 8 Preparation
- 9 Procedure
- 10 Recovery & Results
- 11 Complementary Procedures
- 12 Cost
- 13 References
What Causes Vaginal Laxity?
Childbirth can radically change the function and feel in the vaginal muscles, ligaments, and tissue, causing the area to stretch and widen. This can limit pleasurable contact with the G-spot and clitoral stimulation during sexual intercourse as well as cause discomfort and irritation when wearing tight-fitting clothing or sitting. Another factor that can cause vaginal laxity is a drop in estrogen. This can be the result of hormonal changes during menopause. The tissue of the vulva and the lining of the vagina can become thinner, drier, and more lax during these changes, and this condition is known as vulvovaginal atrophy. This can lead to a loss of vaginal ridges called rugae that grip the penis during intercourse, resulting in less feeling and pleasurable friction. It can also eliminate pleasure altogether, as the increasingly delicate tissue renders sex painful. Many women notice this change and don’t know how to stop it. They feel as though this may be the new normal. But it doesn’t have to be! With Dr. Ahmed’s vaginoplasty and labiaplasty, you can regain control of your vaginal feeling, function, and tightness.
Before and After Photos
A vaginoplasty is a reconstructive or cosmetic procedure for the vagina. This procedure will address your loose pelvic floor and repair the vaginal muscles affected by childbirth. By tightening the vaginal canal, contracting the vaginal opening, Dr. Ahmed can improve sexual function and restore strength back to your pelvic floor. Additional causes of a weak pelvic floor excluding childbirth are:
- Injuries from high impact sports
- Chronic straining or lifting
- Health issues such as constipation
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure designed to improve a woman’s comfort by modifying the labia majora or minora. All labia are unique. However, women who have overly enlarged labias suffer from a condition called labial hypertrophy. Women who suffer from labial hypertrophy can find many everyday activities uncomfortable. They may also experience embarrassment as a result of their condition and avoid sexual encounters altogether. However, with a labiaplasty, those women are given a solution that can improve many aspects of their life. During a labiaplasty, there are three techniques Dr. Ahmed can choose.
The most standard labiaplasty technique, a trim resection is performed when the labia minora excessively protrudes from the labia majora. Excess skin is removed along the edges of the labia minora and the incisions are then delicately sutured closed. For patients with darker labial edges and cosmetic concerns, this technique is recommended as it brings back pinkness to the labia minora.
A wedge resection is when a wedge-shaped piece of tissue is removed from the central, anterior, or posterior part of the labia. Depending on your case, Dr. Ahmed will expertly diagnose which portion would be best to remove. Unlike the aforementioned trim resection technique, a wedge resection helps maintain the natural edges of the labia.
Clitoral Hood Resection
For excess labial tissue that includes the clitoral hood, a labiaplasty can also include a clitoral hood resection. This will remove any excess tissue surrounding the clitoris. Apart from improving comfort or addressing cosmetic concerns, this surgery can help increase clitoral stimulation and friction during intercourse, making clitoral orgasm easier to achieve.
Candidates For Labiaplasty
Candidates for a labiaplasty are people who often experience:
- Hygiene issues: Labial hypertrophy can make intimate hygiene more difficult, resulting in chronic infections from menstruation or intercourse.
- Irritation: Elongated labia can cause uncomfortable friction and pinching. Activities like walking, cycling, sex, and even sitting can cause painful irritation. This can also prevent women from wearing certain clothing comfortably.
- Embarrassment: Prominent labia can cause problems when wearing tight fitting clothing or swimwear. It may even be the reason a woman avoids certain social or sexual situations entirely.
Candidates for Vaginoplasty
Women who are interested in vaginoplasty should be finished having children and have waited at least one year since having their last child. This is to make sure you are fully recovered from the birth. If childbirth does take place after a vaginoplasty, the results of the procedure will be diminished or lost entirely.
Candidates for a vaginoplasty may have experienced vulvovaginal atrophy and the loss of sensitivity, or pain during intercourse. Some of these women have told us they also fear that their partner has less enjoyment during intercourse as well. This may have led to bedroom anxiety for both parties.
If you are interested in finding out if you are a perfect candidate for either procedure please feel free to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Ahmed today!
Personal Consultation With Dr. Ahmed
During your personal consultation, we will first escort you to your own private consultation room. We know that intimate procedures like this can be a little awkward to discuss for new patients. That’s why Dr. Ahmed is committed to creating a private, safe environment for you to feel safe and comfortable to discuss your desired results. Many previous clients have raved about the comfortable atmosphere he creates. Next, we will go over your medical, surgical, and prescription history. It is important for us to get an overall sense of your story and what your desired results are. After an examination, Dr. Ahmed will decide if vaginoplasty and labiaplasty are the right course of action for your individual needs. If they are then a time and date will be scheduled for your procedure. In the meantime, it is vital that you follow the list of preparatory steps given to you at the end of your consultation.
You may be given a list of unique, individualized preparatory steps. Follow those as closely as you can to ensure a smooth operation and recovery. More general preparation includes:
- Avoid smoking as nicotine constricts blood vessels and may increase bleeding during your procedure. If you do smoke, we ask that you discontinue a few weeks before your procedure and for the entire duration of your recovery so as not to hamper the healing process.
- Avoid alcohol as alcohol increases blood flow and may also lead to excessive bleeding during your procedure.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications such as ibuprofen and aspirin as they can hinder the blood’s natural ability to clot during surgery.
- Schedule a ride home as you will be put under general anesthesia and will not be fit to drive yourself home.
If both a vaginoplasty and labiaplasty are required, they are perfect to be performed in tandem. During the procedure, Dr. Ahmed will tighten the muscles in the vaginal canal. Then, during your labiaplasty, he will use either the trim or wedge resection to address the excess skin of the labia – restoring the vaginal appearance to a more attractive look. Finally, he will suture the open incisions.
Recovery & Results
For the first few days following your procedure you may experience discomfort in the treated areas. This may be more so when you spend long periods sitting. Depending on the areas treated, many of our patients return back to work and their daily lives within one week. However, we do ask our patients to refrain from exercise and intercourse for 6 weeks after the procedure. It is also important to avoid any tight fitting clothing or activities like bicycles riding as these can cause friction and damage to the treated area. After about 6 weeks, you can expect the swelling to have fully subsided and your results to appear just as you have desired!
For many of our female clients, it’s not only their vaginal health that has decreased through age and child rearing. Many women note that their breasts don’t look like they once did prior to having children. With a breast lift women can see a renewed boost to their bosom. A breast lift works to correct mild to severe ptosis in the breast tissue and can give a woman a younger, perkier appearing chest. If you’re interested in learning more about this or our other procedures, please feel free to call us at (702) 447-1257.
The cost of your vaginal rejuvenation procedure will vary depending on the specifics of your individual operation. If you would like to learn about what specials we have at this time please feel free to visit our specials page today!
- Changes in the Vagina and Vulva, Sexual Side Effects of Menopause | The North American Menopause Society, NAMS. (2021). Menopause.org. https://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/changes-at-midlife/changes-in-the-vagina-and-vulva
- Cain, J. M., Iglesia, C. B., Dickens, B., & Montgomery, O. (2013). Body enhancement through female genital cosmetic surgery creates ethical and rights dilemmas. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 122(2), 169–172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2013.03.020